History, Mission and Task
The Institute for Migration and Ethnic Studies is the only scientific institution in Croatia that for almost thirty years systematically and continuously, using interdisciplinary approach, deals with research on all kinds of population migration, study on minorities (both in Croatia and Croatians as minority groups abroad) and various kinds of ethnic issues. All these topics have become extremely important for the Republic of Croatia in the last twenty years in regard to historical circumstances, above all problems following the dissolution of the former state, changes of borders and consequences of the Croatian War of Independence resulting in various kind of migration. Some of the issues are becoming more important in the process of the near Croatian accession to the European Union. Namely, along with past migration movements, the Croatian integration process into the EU opens new migration topics in the field of migration and ethnicity: different position of Croatian citizens in the European space (new education and economic migration), the problem of old and new minorities, new forms of trans-border cooperations, the position of Croatia as immigration country (expected new immigration from poor and undeveloped countries from the territory of Africa and Asia – temporary and permanent, and consequently not the question just of ethnic but also of race studies), the creation of new Croatian migration policy, the creation of integration policy, transnational migrations, increasingly important issues of asylum and many other.
The main task of the Institute is to stimulate the comparative study of migration, minorities and ethnicity, to promote public understanding of the complexity and reality of these topics, and also, through research and discussion, to stimulate the implementation of new policies and activities that might aid in the solution of problems in the relevant fields. Through systematic and interdisciplinary research into all forms of migration, through the study of national minorities and various aspects of ethnicity, the Institute aims at accomplishing, above all, the following tasks:
- organisation and implementation of scientific research;
- publication of the Institute's research results, as well as of the research results of other scientists dealing with migration, minority issues and ethnicity;
- organisation of scientific and professional discussions (symposia, conferences, round tables) in the field of migration, minority and ethnic studies;
- co-operation with other scientific and professional institutions and individual researchers both in Croatia and abroad;
- participation and aid in the scientific and professional training of researchers and novices, as well as in the attainment of academic statuses in the research fields covered by the Institute;
- organisation of lectures for the Institute's researchers, as well as for other scientists interested in the Institute's research fields (some of the Institute's employees also lecture in graduate and post-graduate courses outside the Institute).